Contact the Nurse

If you need to contact our school nurse of school CNA, please feel free to contact them directly.

Kjersti Hedges RN BSN
School Nurse
Primary Phone 719-499-0438
Secondary Phone 719-234-2569

Vicki Garcia CNA
Health Room Para
Primary Phone 719-234-2595

Medication and Health information

Over the counter (OTC) medications:

High School students can self-carry regular over the counter medications like Ibuprofen and Tylenol (must be in original containers). These medications can also be checked into the health room if that is preferred.  If checking OTC medication into the health room a Permission to Administer Medication form must be filled out and signed by the parent (no doctor's signature needed).

Prescription medication:

Examples of these medications are medication for ADHD, medication for mental/emotional health (anxiety, depression, bipolar etc.), seizure rescue medications like Diazepam or Midazolam, high strength migraine medication.

Prescription medications must be checked into the health room by a legal guardian.  The medication must be accompanied by a Permission to Administer Medication form (found on the D20 website) filled out and signed by the doctor and parent/guardian.

All prescription medication must come in the original packaging with the prescription label attached (no zip lock bags, plastic boxes etc.). The prescription label must match the information on the Permission to Administer Medication form: same medication and form of medication (tablet/liquid), same dose, same time, same person (ie: we can't accept medication prescribed for another family member).

Liquid medication must have an implement for administration which can be used to measure exact dose (medication cup, spoon, syringe etc.)

Medication must not expire before June of that school year.

Emergency allergy and asthma medication:

High School students can self-carry epi pens and inhalers at school, but we must have a health care plan signed by the doctor and parent on file (new plan each school year). These plans are standard state plans which include the medication order, so there is no need for a separate Permission to Administer Medication form for these medications. These health care plans are found on the D20 website.

It is strongly recommended to have back-up medication in the health room in case a student's medication can't be found. 

The self-carry medication must also be in the original packaging (box for inhaler and epi pen) with the prescription label on.  We need to know that the medication is indeed prescribed for that student, and be able to get it back to the right student if it is lost.

Students with Diabetes can self-carry their Glucagon, but we do need the most current orders/health care plan from the doctor which includes the order for Glucagon. It is also recommended to have a back-up Glucagon in the health room.

All medications must be picked up by the last day of school (cannot be stored over the summer). Medications left after this day will be disposed of.

If you have any questions about medications at school, please e-mail or call the school nurse.

Immunization Information Letter - English

Immunization Information Letter - Spanish

How to find health forms on the D20 website:

Click on Menu at the top left on the main page – then Parent Resource – Documents and Forms – Families and Students – Medical Forms and Documents.

Immunization information:

Every student must have an up to date immunization record on file with D20, with all state required immunizations. A table of the required immunizations can be found in the Medical Forms and Documents (see above).

If our student has a non-medical (personal or religious) exemption for one or more vaccines, a new Exemption form must be submitted to the school each school year. This form can be found in the Medical Forms and Documents. If your student is exempt for a medical reason, the Medical Exemption form must be filled out and signed by your student's doctor.  This form is also found in Medical Forms and Documents, and does only need to be submitted once during your student's K-12 career, unless anything changes with the exemption.

Please check that your contact information (phone numbers and e-mail) in Infinite Campus is current and correct, so that we will be able to reach you if needed. 

Immunization Policies for Academy District 20