Air Academy High School
AVID Elective Class for Freshman
What is AVID?
· Advancement Via Individual Determination
· Acceleration (NOT remediation)
· A structured approach to rigorous curriculum
· Direct support structure for college bound students
Why college readiness?
· Will every student pursue higher education? Not necessarily. Should every student be prepared for and have the option to attend college or pursue higher education? Absolutely!
· College readiness: the level of preparation a student needs to enroll and succeed—without remediation—in a credit-bearing general education course at a postsecondary institution that offers a baccalaureate degree or transfer to a baccalaureate program. -Dr. David Conley, Defining College Readiness
How does AVID work?
· Accelerates students who have potential into more rigorous courses
· Teaches academic and social skills not targeted in other classes
· Provides intensive support with in-class tutors and a strong student/teacher relationship
· Creates a positive peer group for students
· Develops a sense of hope and personal achievement gained through hard work and determination
What does AVID do?
· Develops readers and writers
· Develops deep content knowledge
· Teaches content-specific strategies for reading, writing, thinking, and speaking
· Develops habits, skills, and behaviors to use knowledge and abilities
What strategies does AVID use? WICOR.
· Writing – Cornell note-taking, learning logs, quick writes and reflections, peer evaluation, etc.
· Inquiry – skilled questioning, Costa's Levels of Thinking, Socratic Seminars, tutorials, etc.
· Collaboration – Philosophical Chairs, peer editing groups, service learning projects, etc.
· Organization – binders, focused note-taking system, tutorials, SMART goals, etc.
· Reading – graphic organizers, vocabulary building, summarizing, reciprocal teaching, etc.
What results does AVID offer?
· Raises student achievement
· Ensures college access and success
· Closes opportunity and expectation gaps
What do AVID students say about AVID? http://bcove.me/ub3xkk9c